Quote of the week

Heyyy welcome to my blog

Sunday, November 9, 2014

candyy!!! >0<

the peppermint- done with chalk
In this project I used three different mediums to recreate different kinds of candies. I used oil pastels for the jolly rancher. In the past I had used oil pastels, but I only used them as vibrant colors on their own; I had never really blended them. I further explored this medium, and learned that to make oil pastels colors seem even brighter. I used this to make the yellow wrapper design brighter on the jolly rancher brighter where there were highlights. I also used prisma color pencils for the first time. I explored its ease with blending, and how white can easily highlight the areas where the light hits the dum dum wrapper.I also used chalk for the peppermint, and I found it hard and challenging to use. It wouldn't easily blend, and if you layered it too much or too hard, you could start to see the black paper appear.

In these projects, I also took risks. The first one was when I drawing the dum dum, I looked closely and noticed that the stick wasn't exactly touching the surface: It was kind of suspended in the air. I wondered if I should make it look like it was touching the surface like everybody else's seemed like. However I decided that I should be as accurate possible and even include its shadow. This risk payed off because my art looked more realistic. Another risk was changing the color of my peppermint to blue instead of white. I thought this would make my art original, but it backfired because I couldn't execute it properly.


the jolly rancher- done with oil pastels
In these projects we mostly had to draw the candy exactly like we saw it, so there wasn't much space to make the art very original. I still tried to make it original though. In the jolly rancher drawing, I changed the candy name to "jolly dancer" and the slogan to " hard and dancy" . If you looked closely at my artwork you'd realize it then, so I suppose it was kind of a benefit, since it made. The audience would have to look closely and notice the details to truly appreciate the puns and the work as a awhole.

No comments:

Post a Comment